Ricky Nowak shares five ideas in five minutes to keep you focused as a leader and ready to tackle the day’s challenges. Here’s this week’s fab five:
- Leadership: Discuss expectations openly and take the guess work or hard work off the table by planning ahead, rather than spending time recovering.
- People: Motivate employees to ‘champion a change’ within a safe-to-fail framework to operate in.
- Meetings: Commence a meeting with a roundtable contribution by asking, “What was the most surprising thing you learnt or did this week?” or “What did you learn this week about someone or something that you did not know before?”
- Presentations: See your presentation a little like a trailer for a movie – Don’t give everything away in on sitting, as people will only remember between 10 to 20 per cent of it. Elaborate on key points by contextualising them back to the work people do.
- Technology: Support your words with great images – there are some great sites out there for free photos that avoid the ‘too stock-y’ label. Here are three to check out:
This video is part of a series of vlogs on big ideas in HR. Check back for five bits of wisdom to keep you focused and moving forward at work. Have a question, a tip to share or a topic to discuss? Tweet using the #fivebigideas hashtag or email Ricky at firstname.lastname@example.org.