Ricky Nowak shares five ideas in five minutes to keep you focused as a leader and ready to tackle the day’s challenges. Here’s this week’s fab five:
- Leadership: To pull from Dave Ulrich’s session at AHRI’s National Convention, invite your clients to your in-house training programs. Not only is this a great way for everyone to learn something, but it’s also an opportunity for you to show genuine interest in helping them build their business.
- People: If you have staff who are passionate about certain topics, invite them to present or take part in client presentations that feature those subjects. Making way for others to shine creates a pipeline for talent to grow.
- Meetings: One major problem with meetings is that they are so static – the same people speak, the same people listen, we even usually sit in the same places. For a quick shake-up, give each attendee a task for the meeting ahead, even if that’s just calling everyone to order.
- Presentations: Just like you prepare for a meeting, you need to prepare your audience. Let them know ahead of time the key ideas you will cover; it will make it easier to facilitate audience participation down the road.
- Technology: When you are in a hurry to source information or find people to comment on a topic, look no further than social media. Sites such as Twitter or LinkedIn are great tools for any business looking to bring more people into the fold.
This video is part of a series of vlogs on big ideas in HR. Check back for five bits of wisdom to keep you focused and moving forward at work. Have a question, a tip to share or a topic to discuss? Tweet using the #fivebigideas hashtag or email Ricky at email@example.com.
Check out AHRI’s social media pages on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook for more. And don’t forget to follow HRM’s editor Amanda Woodard on Twitter @HRMeditor for updates about what’s happening in the HR industry around Australia.